Sunday, April 21, 2013

Smithsonian Orchid Exhibition

The Smithsonian Orchid Exhibition: Orchids of Latin America.

Of course no DC trip is complete without stepping into the Smithsonian. My favorite is the natural history museum. That's the one with the dinosaurs, jewels and gems and butterfly exhibit. 

On this particular Friday it happened to be field trip day (I recommend not going on the weekend). But also it was one of the last days for this orchid exhibit.

Courtney and I walked in not really knowing what exhibits we wanted to look at and immediately this one caught our eye. It was located right off the rotunda  and somehow in the mass of school aged children in matching t-shirts we spotted the sign for it.

As soon as we walked into the somewhat small exhibit we were delighted. It was beautiful. So many vibrant colors to look at. I am not one to read a lot at museums, I tend to just wonder around and take it all in visually. This exhibit was perfect for me in that aspect. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty to read about the different species, I just chose not to.

The lush foliage was intoxicating. It smelled heavenly without being overpowering. And luckily for us the school kids did not seem interested in this exhibit so we were safe from the chaos for a few minutes.

Sadly this exhibit has an expiration date. However the moral of the story is sometimes you don't need a plan; let the museums surprise and delight you on their own.

http://www.gardens.si.edu/whats-happening/orchid-exhibition.html










No comments:

Post a Comment