Monday, April 29, 2013

The Nationals

The Nationals.

Going to a Nats game seems to be a DC right of passage. Everybody else I know works in the middle of the day so I ventured out on my own Wednesday afternoon to experience this ritual.

It was a gorgeous day for a game. Sunny and hot, so that ballpark beer would taste extra refreshing. 30 minutes orange to green line and I was able to get my first thirst quenching brew. 

I 100% recommend taking the metro, why deal with parking? Plus it is an extra thrill riding there with all the other Nats fans decked out in their gear. (To be fair I was wearing a sundress and cowboy boots, not exactly reppin' the home team, but give me a break I just got here.)

Now once there you will be accosted by scalpers, they want to sell tickets, they want to buy tickets, interact at your own distrection. I always wear headphones to avoid these awkward encounters.

They have these great machines as soon as you get up to the park where you insert a credit card, select which section you want to sit in and poof, out comes a ticket. Life couldn't be easier.

Once you get through ticket check you enter a DC sanctuary. Now unlike some DC sports, this one is actually played in DC, making it that much more special. The atmosphere is awesome. 

I immediately made my way to the first hot dog sign I saw. It isn't baseball for me without a hot dog and beer. After securing my Hebrew National and Miller Lite (I'm a bud gal, but that wasn't an option at this spot) I proceeded on to find my seat. 

The Nationals Stadium is freakin' huge! I hail from Richmond where our ballpark is not nearly the size (maybe a quarter). But it is well labeled and I was able to find my spot easily. On my way I spotted several in stadium bars that seemed to be quite popular. A nice option when the sun is just too much.

Once at my seat I quenched my hunger pangs and my thirst. I ended up in great seats (and for only $24!). Just below the scoreboard, perfect view of everything, including the crowd (half the reason I wanted to go in the first place). My seat neighbors seemed to be season ticket holders, as more people came they socialized like they were expecting to see them. Also near our seats was a nice outdoor bar to escape the sun every now and then.

My one regret...no sunscreen. The sun was beating down that day and since it was one of the first nice days...no base tan. Needless to say I am rockin' an interesting farmers tan right now, top of my knees, arms and chest, everything else is still nice and white. Thank goodness I have a pool to even this out later.

Now even though the Nats didn't win this one, it was still an awesome experience. I am already a fan. I can't wait for the next game.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com



Ballpark.


Brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment